Do you find yourself reaching for and antacids to solve your heartburn problems? You should consider the real problem for most heartburn sufferers ... gastro reflux disease!
Acids from the stomach bubble up into the esophagus causing burning and pain behind the sternum. It is uncomfortable and often painful! Over time, it can constrict the esophagus, or cause pre-cancerous changes in the lining of the esophagus, acid reflux can be very serious! Triggers for reflux include diet, emotional stress, and reclining or bending over. There are several actions you can take to prevent acid reflux:
Finally don't just eat antacids to kill the symptoms. A healthy lifestyle is all about listening to your body and preventing damage before it happens!
- Eat smaller meals.
- Don't recline, bend over, or pick up heavy objects after eating.
- Lose weight if you're overweight.
- Avoid those "burning-foods."
- Chew gum to stimulate saliva, don't smoke, and avoid certain medications.
- Manage your stress level.