Health Benefits of Avocados
Avocados are one of the most potent superfoods you can eat! Rich and creamy, they contain about 30 grams of fat – but don’t let that scare you off! The fat in that avocado is the good monounsaturated fat that includes oleic acid. Avocados are packed with a wide array of carotenoids, flavonoids, and omega-3 fatty acid. They’re also a great source of fiber, vitamin B6, vitamin C, Vitamin K, potassium and folic acid. They are a good source of vitamin B5. So, what does that mean to your health? A lot of protection!
- Brain Health. Scientists at the National Institute on Aging found that folic acid may play an important role in protecting the brain against Alzheimer's disease and other neurodegenerative diseases. Brain-healthy omega-3 fatty and vitamin E -- known to prevent the progression of Alzheimer's disease -- supercharge this amazingly brain-healthy food.
- Heart Health. Avocados are rich in monounsaturated fats that boost heart health and help lower blood pressure. That fat in avocados also helps boost your glutathione levels, which is highly beneficial to heart health.
- Cardiovascular Health and Diabetes. Research published the Journal of the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology shows that that avocado eaters have lower risks for metabolic syndrome ... which lessens the likelihood of cardiovascular disease and diabetes.
- Blood Pressure. Avocados are an excellent source of potassium, which is known to reduce hypertension. At a whopping 975 milligrams each, they offer more than twice as much a banana!
- Vision Support. Avocados contain lutein and zeaxanthin, essential phytochemicals for eye health that act as antioxidants for the eye and can reduce the risk of developing age-related macular degeneration.
- Anti-aging support. Avocados are rich in antioxidants, important in the fight to slow the aging process.
- Cancer prevention. The concentrated amount of carotenoids, vitamin E and lutein found in avocados offer real protection against breast and prostate cancer.
Avocados are a food you can enjoy raw on salads, mashed as guacamole, or just sliced by itself as a great addition to any meal! Avocado, a real superfood with some real super benefits!